The coalition supports development of new electric transmission capability between upstate and downstate New York. The time is NOW to get this project built.
The development of new electric transmission can:
- Provide new markets for Upstate generation, including new renewable energy resources, as well as the existing nuclear units;
- Allow greater access to the larger energy markets in the downstate region of New York, providing greater certainty for the long-term viability of Upstate generation resources and reducing needed subsidies over time;
- Encourage the development of new renewable generating assets by enabling the delivery and sale of their electric output across the state, including the downstate regions, to meet the State’s clean energy standard;
- Provide opportunities for building tradesman and skilled workers;
- Expand regional economic activity and stabilize more than $144 million in annual state and local taxes;
- Provide energy savings for all New Yorkers; and
- Enable more carbon-free electricity, including:
- nuclear energy, which accounts for about 15 percent of New York’s energy supply; and
- wind and solar resources, which will account for about 50 percent of electricity in 2030
Tell Governor Cuomo to support the development of transmission to achieve the Clean Energy Standard and to select a developer committed to the State and to our upstate communities that can get the job done! Upstate communities and all of New York depend on it.